Sunday, April 12, 2009

Divided Allegiance 1 Kings 18:16-24

1 Kings 18:16-24

So Obadiah went to meet Ahab and told him, and Ahab went to meet Elijah. When he saw Elijah, he said to him, "Is that you, you troubler of Israel?"

"I have not made trouble for Israel," Elijah replied. "But you and your father’s family have. You have abandoned the LORD'S commands and have followed the Baals. Now summon the people from all over Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. And bring the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel’s table."

So Ahab sent word throughout all Israel and assembled the prophets on Mount Carmel. Elijah went before the people and said, "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." But the people said nothing.

Then Elijah said to them, "I am the only one of the LORD'S prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets. Get two bulls for us. Let them choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the LORD. The god who answers by fire—he is God."

Then all the people said, "What you say is good."

Pray. Then carefully read all of 1 Kings 18, and then focus on the words of verses 16-24.

As Elijah meets wicked King Ahab what does he propose for the king to do?

As Elijah addresses the assembled people how does he challenge them?

How do the people respond?

What does Elijah propose to the people to help them decide which God/god to follow?

How do the people respond to this proposal?

Compare the responses of the people to Elijah’s challenge and proposal. What does that say about the condition of their hearts?

10 comments:

Allen said...

I'll try writing a little more this week. Last week just got really crazy for me. It was all good, but something had to give.

Allen said...

What a great assembly we had today! It was nice to see 300 folks again, but more importantly I felt like everything was well-received. There was a lot of good, positive feedback.

Allen said...

On Saturday we hosted Smoke Fest 09 for my Life Group and the Taffy/Sowders group. We asked each group to invite some others to come along. We ended up with at least 50 people.

Smoke Fest 09 - I'll Meat You There

That was our slogan. Not bad, eh? hee hee

Charlie and Nate helped me smoke. They smoked pork loin and pork shoulder, along with salmon and potatoes. I smoked a brisket, chicken legs, and 9 racks of baby back ribs. Lot of meat; lot of smoke.

It was so much fun! I was so tired at the end of all of it, but it felt good. I was tired because Charlie and Nate started early. They showed up at 7 a.m. I got up at 5.15 to get ready. I got them set up and then went to Bedford and ran 16 miles.

Came home and clean-up and didn't really sit down the rest of the day. I borrowed Wayne's smoker, so I kept hopping between the smokers, the oven, and the grill. I used the latter 2 in some of the finishing of the legs and the brisket.

The gathering was great and the fellowship fantastic. The last folks to leave left around 10 p.m.

I was on prayer duty for the 48 hours of prayer from 6-8 a.m. this morning, so I was just about beyond functioning after lunch. A nap fixed that. An early night will seal the deal.

Allen said...

Our Honduras contribution today was in excess of $22,500! AND we met our regular weekly budget as well.

Wow!

Allen said...

Reading a little Nouwen this morning; came across this:

Physical, mental, or emotional pain lived under the blessing is experienced in ways radically different from physical, mental, or emotional pain lived under the curse. Even a small burden, perceived as a sign of our worthlessness, can lead us to deep depression--even suicide. However, great and heavy burdens become light and easy when they are lived in light of the blessing. What seemed intolerable becomes a challenge. What seemed a reason for depression becomes a source of purification. What seemed punishment becomes a gentle pruning. What seemed rejection becomes a deeper communion.

Allen said...

I was thinking back over the weekend. One of the highlights was that both Lester and Luke were around some. Sadly Maddie had to work, so she didn't get to come.

Lester came for Sunday only, and Luke came home around 2 a.m. Saturday. The both left Sunday afternoon.

Brief but good was the visit.

Allen said...

The people said nothing.That statement, which follows Elijah's challenge about choosing a god to follow, is so striking to me.

Allen said...

How's it going?

Another interesting, somewhat crazy week, is unfolding. Not complaining.

I'm doing Duane's dad's funeral today. It is an honor to do so. After that I need to work up at the store. We are getting a new storage building delivered tomorrow, so we need to move the existing over a little bit. After that I need to make a visit to a guy struggling with his health. Then it's on to a Bible study with a couple from the food pantry. Then a run. Then class. Then popcorn. Then bed.

Allen said...

Last night was our last tempo run before the Indy Mini on May 2nd. It was cold and windy, but once we got started it was not a problem.

I had my best run of the season. Two miles of warm-up/stride-outs. Stretch. Three tempo miles with splits of 7.04, 7.14, and 6.57. Two miles of cool-down.

I am ready. Now it is a matter of tapering for the next couple of weeks.

One of members of the running group, Kathy, is running Boston on Monday. I am so excited for her and am listening very carefully about all her experiences. I hope they will be mine in 2011. She and her husband, Rand, fly out Saturday. We all wished her well last night.

Allen said...

Why some people sneeze when the sun comes outAt last! An explanation as to why I sneeze when I look at the sun or even a bright light.

I've been doing this all my life, and some think I'm nuts. Come to find out that several of us do this.

Of course I have not sneezed for the last few days. Maybe today??