Sunday, March 30, 2008

Word & Flesh

Here’s our text for the week:

John 1:1-18

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it. There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, "This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’" From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.

Instructions/Suggestions

Slowly and carefully read the text, asking God to guide your thoughts.

Questions

What is the overall point of this passage? How would you summarize it in a sentence or two?

How does it fit with the entire Gospel?

Who is the Word? Why do you think John uses this term?

Did you notice that John contrasts several things? Write down the verses that show each of these:
  • Light and darkness
  • The Light and John
  • Those who did recognize and those who believed
  • Those born of natural descent and those born of God
  • Law and grace and truth
  • Moses and Jesus

What could be the significance of such contrasts?

What else is on your mind this week??

9 comments:

Allen said...

Wow, tonight was amazing! I couldn’t believe how many people were there; it was a lot more than this morning.

I wish I would have had a couple more hours of preparation. I can’t believe how much time it took me to get all that together. I hardly did anything else Friday, Saturday, and even today! I also worked on it throughout the week. I underestimated the task. Oh well. I’m glad it’s finished and was well-received.

Anonymous said...

This passage is so remarkable because it declares Christ's role with God in creation, His plan to draw us near Him, the fact that he uses ordinary people like John the Baptist to proclaim His existance, he lights our path. He also tells us not all will receive Him but the reward is to those who do and follow His example. The rewards are blessings here and in eternity. That He was promised through history and the promise was and is fulfilled. We cannot see Him but by faith we believe. We see His work all around us from the very air we breathe to the beauty of the seasons. How blessed are those who believe. Amen. April showers bring May flowers. Sherron

Erin said...

Allen,
Last night was wonderful! You did a great job sharing your thoughts and adventures with us! -I'm not surprised there were so many people there last night because you have impacted so many lives throughout your own life. on a side note - worship was awesome last night, I could really feel everyones excitement for the Lord.

I think these passages from John are a short retelling of the previous history of God's people from Creation to Jesus being called to service. John needed to have this synopsius to bring his original readers up to speed on God's history. I think the use of "Word" to describe Jesus was to help the orignal readers understand that Jesus is God, was God and will always be God, but that he was also flesh. It was a tangable way for them to understand that concept.

I'm really looking forward to this study!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed last night also. I always enjoy 5 Sunday services anyway, but this one was probably my favorite so far. I enjoy seeing old friends from other church families and I also think it's neat that so many people are interested in our "lives".
When you get down to it, Allen took the trip, but we took it with him. (Even though a film of the sunset in Hawaii just didn't cut it for me, I may have to see that personally ;] ) I really enjoyed the films and look forward to seeing more in the future.
I think the funniest part to me was the Turkish guy who ended his conversation with the old "I wipe my hands of you" gesture at the end of his rant.
I also enjoyed the Poseidon Adventure reference Allen made even though apperently nobody else around me got it. It's that wierd sense of humor Allen and I have I guess.

I too am excited to start the study into John. Of all of the gospels, it's probably the one that intrigues me the most. I think it's the personal element that he has to Jesus. He really gives us the inside track to Jesus' life.

Brent

Allen said...

Thanks for all your kind, encouraging words. And especially thank you for those wonderful comments and insights into John and this text! Wow!

Allen said...

I came across this article about Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies. I found it disturbing and kinda sad.

Today is April Fool’s Day. I found this little explanation from the Writer’s Almanac:

Today is April Fools' Day, a holiday celebrating practical jokes of all kinds. Some people say that April Fools' Day began in France in 1582 when the Gregorian replaced the Julian calendar, making New Year's Day fall on January 1st instead of April 1st. At the time, news of such things traveled slowly, and it took many years for everyone to get up to speed. People who continued to celebrate New Year's on April 1st came to be known as April Fools.

Do you try fool people on this day?

I send out a work report every morning to the Elders, Gary, Melissa, and a couple of others, to let them know how I plan to use the day. Here was my attempt at “April Fooling”:

OK, this will strike you as odd, but here is how I am spending the first half of this day. I have a gift card to a spa in Bloomington, so I am going there this morning for: back hair removal, followed by a massage, followed by a pedicure and a manicure, and then finally a hot-mud facial. I should be home by noon or so. This afternoon I am going to watch Oprah. I deserve all this. I have been working really hard.

Yes, I know. It’s weak and not that funny. What do you expect?

Anonymous said...

Allen, stay away from the pedicures. Those hurt! I almost kicked a girl in the face, once, it was so uncomfortable.
Anybody go see Bill at the Middle School today?
Donna

Allen said...

Here’s my Clinton story; not that exciting really. I was in Bedford for lunch with Anthony. After that I needed to run to Brent’s garage and get a lawn mower motor. I got to Brent’s at 1 p.m. I heard on the radio that Bubba had still not arrived at BMS. Now, I knew that Bubba always runs late, so I was not surprised in the least.

As I left Brent’s I decided I would wait at the Tabernacle of Praise to see the motorcade come by. I waited and waited and waited. I had study materials, so the time was not wasted. I kept expecting to see a convoy of black cars, limos, etc. I was wrong, and I just about missed the whole thing. A little after 2 I looked up and saw a state trooper followed by a couple of big SUV’s, followed by a couple of mini vans, and another state trooper. That was it! Bubba just buzzed by in a Chevy Suburban. I can’t say that it was all that thrilling.

We had a wonderful class tonight! As usual, by design, the discussion started out slow and disjointed, but the more we talked the more it became focused and stimulating. I hope I can capture some of the energy and ideas that were in the room tonight.

I am having a little trouble getting back into the blogging flow, so be patient with me. Getting John going has required a lot of extra study, which I absolutely love, but it has kept me from doing a few other things.

What’s on your mind?

Anonymous said...

allen
i enjoyed your presentation and thought you did a great job. fascinating to see the sites we read about and for them to be real.
while i missed this blog tremendously while you were gone, i too am having a tough time getting back into the blog mode.
RR