Monday, March 10, 2008

24

Today marks our 24th Anniversary!

Here’s a story problem for you:

Next year I will reach the mark where I will have been married half of my life. How old will I be then? How old am I now?

Don’t you hate story problems? Next year we will celebrate 25 years of marriage, and I will be 50 then. So I am 49 now. I knew some of you would be too frustrated trying to figure all this out on a Monday morning.

I know a lot of people complain and joke about marriage. Both, the complaints and jokes, bother me. I love being married. Kedra makes it easy. She is a wonderful wife and mother. I am a blessed man. I think good marriages are available for anyone who will base it on a relationship with Christ. Ephesians 5 is good starting point for trying to figure out what that means.

It worked out to where I did a funeral on Friday. At first I did not want to do it, but it seemed that it was God’s will for me to do so. So I did it and felt blessed to be a part. The man who died, a veteran, has two sons in the military. They began the ceremony by folding the flag that draped their father’s casket. This was followed by a 21 gun salute and taps. It was very emotional. And it was kind of “a tough act to follow”!

At the grave side, while the cold snow was blowing, the wife of the deceased man told me, “We got married when I was 16, and we’ve been married 44 years. I don’t know any other life than the one I had. I’m not sure what I am going to do.”

***

Well, I am beginning the process of returning to the ministry that I love so much. I’m sure there are going to be lots of adjustments and some rust that will need to be knocked off, but I am excited about returning to you, the church, on Sunday. I think the plan is for me to share a few thoughts and observations during the sermon time. I look forward to doing so. Some have suggested that I come in riding on a donkey. Any thoughts? Never mind, I don’t want to hear them!

I have thinking a fair amount about Easter and have some ideas about what I want to say that day. I was thinking of talking about the Resurrection (Ha ha). After Easter I think I am going to begin preaching from the Gospel of John. I have been reading in this area for a little while and am excited. Did you know that John’s gospel was likely written in Ephesus?

Next week I will switch the blog back to “Listening for God” and will enable the “comments” feature, so all you people out there that need to make comments can do so. Ha ha ha. Actually, I really look forward to interacting with you again.

OK, back to reading...