Monday, January 07, 2008

Steamy Monday

Today we went to Rotorua, which is about 3 hours from Auckland. We had a nice, pleasant drive there and really enjoyed seeing the beautiful countryside. There seems to be fewer sheep than I remember; seems like there are more cattle now. Another thing that struck me is the amount of corn being grown. I think this is in response to its use as an alternative fuel. I saw lots of Pioneer signs.

Most of our time was spent at Whakarewarewa (spell check does not like this word). It is a Maori village build upon a geothermal region. There is a lot of steam, geysers, and boiling mud. It is very interesting. We had a wonderful time. On the way home we stopped and got some Hokey Pokey ice cream. It was/is one of my favorite New Zealand foods. The ice cream here is amazingly good!

Well, here are a few pictures for you. They include some Maoris performing some of their cultural identity. The haka is my favorite. Here is a link to a video that some else made.

Tomorrow is our last full day in New Zealand. The time has flown!

Blessings to all.