Monday, December 31, 2007

Tassie II

I’m up early this morning – it’s about 4.30 on Monday here, which is early Sunday afternoon where you are. I hope you had a good time of worship.

We arrived in Tasmania mid-morning on Saturday. It was a strange but good feeling to return to this unusually beautiful place. We picked up a rental car (van) at the airport. I managed to stay left on the road and not hit anyone. We were amused by many of the road signs (see slide show).

After picking up the van we headed for Eaglehawk Neck, a beautiful place about an hour from Hobart. We got some fish and chips at a little place called Dunalley. The guy who cooked the fish and chips came out and talked to us; another interesting guy with lots of theories on cultural difference between Americans and Australians.

The room we had in Tasmania was wonderful. It has a great view of the Tasman Sea and was very comfortable for all of us. As I write I can hear the tide rolling in and see the sky becoming light. We could have stayed here a lot longer...

Saturday evening we got a few things at a little general store in Murdunna and had a nice home cooked meal in our room. We also spent some time exploring on the beach. It was a really nice evening. Good memories were made. It’s hard to put in words really.

Sunday morning we made our way into Hobart to worship with the Eastern Shore Church of Christ. When we walked in the building we were warmly welcomed, and in a matter of seconds I came face to face with Leigh, the young man mentioned in the previous post.

Worship was simple and familiar. It was neat to take communion and be reminded that we are all connected to one another no matter where in the world we are. The church is not much larger than it was when I was here, but it’s a different set of people. Some have died; some have moved on; some have fallen away.

The highlight of our time here was Sunday afternoon. Leigh and his wife Carol insisted that we come to their house for Sunday lunch. It was such a wonderful time of fellowship and remembrance. Leigh was a teenager when I was here. It was interesting to hear him tell things that deeply impressed him than I have long forgotten. We used to run together, and he quickly pulled out an old race number and a photo from one of our races together (see slide show for the photo).

A couple of the things Leigh mentioned were how when I had the youth over to my place that I always made popcorn and insisted that it be served with Pepsi. He also said that he remembered very clearly the words I spoke to him when he asked to be baptized. He asked me if I remembered. I said, “no.” He said, “You said, ‘It’s about time!’” We laughed. It is really hard to describe how Leigh’s spiritual formation made me feel.

After our time with Leigh and Carol we went up Mount Wellington and then over to the little neighborhood (Lindisfarne) where I lived for 2 years. It was a strange feeling walking the streets of this little village nearly 25 years later. We went to the grocery store around the corner from my flat and bought some things to cook for our (late) evening meal.

After enjoying that meal we spent the rest of daylight on the beach. More precious memories.

Later this morning we fly back to Sydney. I hope to upload this post from there.

[And obviously I did!]