Sunday, August 27, 2006

Psalm 8

Here is our last Psalm for the Summer! Psalm 8

O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet: all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas. O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
Tell me what you think about this Psalm.
What strikes you as remarkable?
What thoughts are stimulated as you read it?
What does it say about God? About you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What strikes me most is the phrase, "You made him ruler over the works of your hands..." God has created this amazing, complex world, then allows us to partner with him as stewards of his creation.
Donna

Anonymous said...

another one of these verses that just blows me away. as annette says; "why does he bother with us" to donna saying that for some reason he allows us to partner with him. pretty big stuff!
think about the value we must have to god for him to go to all this trouble for us. he has put everything here for us! wow! that is probably what strikes me most about this phrase is that he is god and so majestic yet he cares for me enough to create this earthly kingdom with all that i need and then allows me be the "ruler" of it.
ryan

Anonymous said...

I think the second sentence is confusing and tends to obscure the remainder for a lot of people.

Anonymous said...

God has allowed us to be here and desires so much to have a relationship with us. It is because of him allowing it that we have anything yet we live as if it was all about us. He is an amazing God who has the power to do anything and he wants a relationship with me. He desire my undying love. YOURS TOO!!

Anonymous said...

what strikes me as remarkable is that He trusts us to temporarily take care of His beautiful creation, and I know I fall short.

stimulated thoughts - He is everlasting, the same yesterday today and tomorrow - He loves us no matter what, and I am thankful for that. I am thankful He sent his Son to die for little ole me.

we also have a huge responsibility in taking care of all those around us here on earth, so they too may know he loves us all.

Anonymous said...

What an honor for the Most High and Majestic, The Creator of EVERYTHING, Our Personal Savior, to choose us, as lowly as we are, to shower blessings upon. We were given life with complex vessels to live within,intelligence to work with, a beautiful planit to live on, and a universe to gaze upon on clear nights. We should assume resposibility for all of our blessings in appreciaion for them. If I were to give a loved one a very dear and valuable gift and later saw it recklessly damaged or buried in a corner, I'm sure I would feel sad and unappreciated. However, so many times people would rather complain about their health than try to do something to improve it, or stop stimulating their mind, or never be satisfied with their lavish dwelling place, or not take the time to appreciate the beauty of a peaceful evening. How sad it is that I often fall into these catagories.