Monday, August 14, 2006

Psalm 139:1-12

David says some very striking things in this Psalm. After you read it, tell us what jumps out at you.

O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in–behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.


What is remarkable?
What thoughts does it stimulate?
Does this passage encourage or scare you? or both?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!...Remarkable - Yes...God knows us, better than we know ourselves, literally! He knows our thoughts before we realize what we are thinking! We forget and try to trick ourselves in thinking that as long as I just THINK it and not say it, it is okay...no one knows. Wrong...God knows and who should we be trying to please anymore than him? no one.

This is such an incredible passage, it is both encouraging and scary. It is comforting to know that God Loves us and is with us through the tough times in our lives, God gives us strength and comfort. And of cource it is always a nice feeling to share the good parts of your life, with those you love. On the other hand...we are sinners, and it is scary that God knows every thought and move we make. He is always seeing and hearing, even when we do not think anyone is around! How disappointing we must make him at times, that is scary to me.

Anonymous said...

I feel this passage is both comforting and scarry. It is very conforting to know God is always there...His hand will always guide you. Yet it is scary to think you can never hide...not even in the darkest of places. He knows you inside and out...not even my spouse knows me that well. Yet it inspires me to be more like Jesus...so even the deepest places of my soul, I will not be ashamed of.

Anonymous said...

I find this to be very alarming.

Anonymous said...

As humans we all fall short.

We can control our physical self, but not our minds.

This means we are doomed to be in a state of sin on a daily basis.

Why try if you cannot win?

Anonymous said...

I think to a point we can control our minds. If your heart is right with God then I believe your mind will be also. So you really shouldn't have to try it just comes natural.

Anonymous said...

very interesting posts.
i think what the scripture here relates is too broad for us to comprehend as humans.
not sure that i see it as scary. why would one be scared? scared of getting caught? like the kid with their hand in the cookie jar? if that is your fear, than the issue isn't your thoughts or actions but your heart. my god is forgiving and understands i am not perfect. my god accepts that i am human and sometimes i stumble. my god values the condition of my heart over the actions or thoughts. the only fear i see is the fear of the magnitude of power of god represented by this passage. omnipotent!
i also find it comforting to know that he knows me that well as my father.
rr

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite psalm; in fact, it doesn't scare me a bit. Being "known" doesn't worry me. It would be much scarier to think that God didn't know me or care about me.
Donna

Anonymous said...

I think we all have bad days where everything goes wrong and think we are alone. This passage reminds me I am never alone. Sometimes I wish I was! Lucky for me God is always there and sometimes I need reminded. Also, knowing God is watching when I screw something up or make the wrong choice makes me try harder not to do that again.